The left leg holds two bearing blocks. Both are set in only as deep as they need be. The flywheel axle and the headstock spindle do not run completely through the left leg. There’s a single bearing for the flywheel axle. The headstock spindle has two bearings. Leftmost is a thrust bearing which absorbs lateral pressure on the spindle. Immediately next to it is a ball bearing for the radial load.
The flywheel axle is 1/2″ steel rod, common stuff from the home center. The headstock spindle is also common 5/8″ steel rod. I used that size because it is the same as a ShopSmith spindle and several parts are available for that size spindle (see the post 2 previous to this for actual part numbers).
The right leg, of course, has through holes for both the flywheel axle and the headstock spindle. The bearing for the flywheel axle is on the inside / left face of this leg, making both flywheel bearings close to the wheel itself. The headstock spindle bearing is on the outside / right face of the leg.
The legs are bolted together with 3 carriage bolts, each running thorough a spacer block, two through the feet and the third just below the rails. It’s solid!
Last, there’s a crank piece made of walnut. Remember, the blacksmith moved away, and I don’t have enough metal working skills to bend cranks in 1/2″ steel rod. So, I used a block of walnut, and pinned it to the flywheel axle and the crank stub with pins made from 8-penny nails.
And… yes, that’s a pile of sandpaper (YIKES!) in one of those photos. Hate the stuff. But the wood needed it.
Result: Il meccanismo è molto scorrevole! (http://translate.google.com/#it|en| is your friend)