Silver Maple. Length: 14 1/2″ Width: 5 3/4″ Height: 3 1/8″ Finish: food safe flaxseed oil
This bowl comes from the other half of the log that bowl #1 was found in. As David Fisher advises, this split remained in a plastic bag to retain moisture during the few weeks I worked on the first bowl.
The split piece weighed just over 22 pounds as I started work. The completed bowl weighs 1.6 pounds.
About 90% of the waste is hacked away in about 10% of the total bowl caving time. The remaining 10% takes the other 90% of the time. The first part, with axe and adze is the most fun with big chips flying. As the shape is refined the chips get smaller and smaller and when the carving needs to be more careful.
This time, I took more “process” pictures along the way:
Eva stopped by the shop a few times to take some videos.